Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Flavored Cashew Spread

I just love making cashew "cheese" as posted by The Blender Girl. It is not technically cheese as making cheese includes a long process. But this would be the third time I made this spread, so incorporating the basic principles, I used ingredients on hand to create a delicious spread for my gluten free bagel.

The most important step is to soak the cashews for a few hours or overnight. For the spread I made today, it contains fresh garlic, basil and a fire roasted red pepper that gave it a vibrant orange color. The flavor is reminiscent of a spicy hummus with the texture of a cream cheese.

After working out this morning, I was really craving something substantial, so I added some roasted turkey slices, a couple pieces of left over bacon, a sauteed red pepper and a fresh romaine lettuce leaf.

Check out the more recipes from The Blender Girl as they are truly unique and simple. Seriously, I don't think I'll ever need to use cream cheese on my bagel again; eliminating just a little more dairy item from my diet!

The bright red drink in the picture is actually a version of Lemon Detox Tea from The Healthy Apple. Instead of using the white tea the recipe calls for I picked up a box of pomegranate white tea. As well as giving it another flavor dimension, it made the beverage this gorgeous color. Also, I used half lemon, half lime! Yum!

No comments: