Sunday, July 12, 2009

Oreo Cookies Again!

We were excited to find this recipe for "Oreo Cookies." I have to admit, making them is more time consuming than drop cookies, but the result is amazing and totally worth it! I made these as a welcome home treat for my daughter after camp and she said "Oh, I'm so happy, the kids were eating store bought Oreo's in the van - now I have my own!" Originally posted on: Gluten Free Girl

Cookie Dough:
3/4 cup rice flour
3/4 cup tapioca flour
3/4 cup cornstarch
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
2/3 cup cocoa
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1-2 teaspoons milk

Filling:
2 cups confectioners' sugar
3 tablespoons shortening
1/4 teaspoon vanilla

In a medium bowl, whisk together all dry ingredients. Set aside. In large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light. Add the egg and vanilla and beat well. Add the dry ingredients in three additions. If the dough becomes too stiff, add the milk as needed. Shape the dough into two 10" x 1-1/2 inch rolls. Wrap in parchment paper and foil and chill for at least 15 minutes. Cut dough into 1/8' slices using a chilled knife or thread (I use the thread - it makes nice clean cuts). Bake cookies on an un-greased cookie sheet or parchment paper for 10 minutes. Let cool for a few minutes before removing from cookie sheet. Cool thoroughly on rack. For filling: combine confectioners sugar, shortening, vanilla and hot water (I used my food processor) adding hot water enough to create a spreading texture. Frost cookies and add tops.

No comments: