Saturday, September 6, 2008

Happy Birthday Sarah!

Growing up can be challenging, exciting, adventurous, and sometimes even overwhelming. Well, we overwhelmed Sarah a bit tonight with a large reminder of her fast approaching adult life. We gave her a Hope Chest. In the pictures below it appears quite large and pirate esk, and we meant it to be that way. We thought it matched Sarah's adventurous spirit. We also had three of her friends join us tonight for pizza, sweet tea, choclate cake and a coming of age celebration.
She was very surprised (and a little embarsed in front of friends) with the trunk and she appears in the pictures with some very curious expressions. It reminded me of when she was little and we would watch the old Peter Pan production with Mary Martin. I think we can all agree despite the onward ticking of the clock, it's fun the stop and sing the following song sometimes, just for fun!
I won't grow up, (I won't grow up).
I don't want to go to school,
(I don't want to go to school)
.

Just to learn to be a parrot,
(Just to learn to be a parrot),
And recite a silly rule, (And recite a silly rule).
If growing up means
It would be beneath my dignity to climb a tree,
I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up,
Not me! (Not I), Not me!
I won't grow up, (I won't grow up).
I don't want to wear a tie,
(I don't want to wear a tie).
And a serious expression,
(And a serious expression),
In the middle of July, (In the middle of July).
And if it means I must prepare
To shoulder burdens with a worried air,
I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up,
Not me.
Not I!
Not me!
Here she is with her "best friends," Jonathan and Kelly. (That's a root beer bottle in front of them!) Their sister Tamarrah came to spend time with Hannah as well. I guess growing older is not a bad thing, especially with the love and support of family and friends!

No comments: